Friday, September 27, 2013

Bit by a bug...a fishing bug

I got bitten by the kayak fishing bug, and am learning to like some things I figured I never would. After trying several times to fish from my "Artic", then having my pirogue blow the bottom laminations (see earlier post), I decided to get a Sit on Top. Of course, I looked for one that was as much like a sea kayak as possible - an "LPB" (Long Pointy Boat) as some of the skin boat folks call them.

I ended up with a used Wilderness Systems' Tarpon 160i. It's definitely long/pointy, but I was still afraid it would be like riding a cork, as my other experiences with SoTs were like that.

It isn't. It tracks very well, has pretty good speed, and once I get an appropriately longer paddle than my Werner Camano, will be da bomb for fishing.

It was already set up for fishing, even with some things I probably won't use, like fish finder mounts.

Here are a couple of pictures that were sent by the guy I got it from (he bought a Hobie Pedal drive boat).




I'll have to see if it becomes my 'go to' boat for just messing about - the "Artic" still fits that bill, since it's light, fast, and easy to unload.


No comments:

Post a Comment