Monday, September 23, 2013

Paddling spot - headwaters of Lake Blackshear

 My latest spot for a quick paddle is on the top end of Lake Blackshear, near Drayton, GA. It's not as "birdy" this time of year as I expect it is in the spring and early summer, but there are wading birds and ducks, plus tons of turtles. Here's a Google earth image.

Flint River south of the Hwy 27 Bridge
The arrow points to a launch called "Camper's Haven".  There's a little store + bar and grill there, and I believe the launch itself is owned by someone else.  You drop your $2 launch fee in the box and take off.  The concrete ramp is both steep enough and shallow enough to launch from there.

Notice the sloughs on both sides of the big S curve?  They are relatively deep, full of fish, turtles and birds. Just south of here is where the former state record alligator was taken, so I know there are big and small gators around.  Traffic on the river isn't bad, and I don't stay in the channel much.  The current's pretty slow too, so ferrying across is effortless.

I need to fish more here and see what I can turn up.  General map coordinates from Google: 32.044605,-83.963835.

No comments:

Post a Comment